Tuesday, October 16, 2007

It's all relative and Halloween movie suggestions

I stopped by the local CVS store today to pick up new toothbrushes for the kids -- we had an ant invasion in the kid's bathroom (I swear it is clean) and I found a few of the critters on the toothbrushes. Yuck! Anyway, we had to stop by the Halloween section to try on scary masks. Amanda was scared of all of them until Lucas picked up a hockey mask, and said, "Look, Amanda, this one isn't scary at all." "You're right, Lucas," she said, as she picked up her own hockey mask to try on and my two little Jasons walked up and down the aisle wondering why people were running for their lives. My kids haven't seen Friday the Thirteenth, so the hockey mask thing isn't a bit scary. I really found that amusing. Guess I need to get out more.

Every Halloween, I rent the movie Halloween and carve my pumpkin. Since the kids came along, we carve the pumpkin first and I save the scary movie for when they are tucked in bed. Then hubby and I bake our pumpkin seeds and watch the show. I know, it is a cheesy horror flick from the '70's but for some reason, that movie always leaves me anxious for the next few nights. I'll turn out the lights and that music starts playing in my head. I usually have about 3 or 4 nights of not sleeping well.
Anyway, I think I'm going to make a change this year and skip watching Halloween, even though I love it. I need my sleep these days, so a nice, old-timey thriller will do.
If anyone reads this and has any suggestions, let me know.
I'm thinking along the lines of "Sorry Wrong Number" or "Dial M for Murder".

2 comments:

Molly said...

How about Rear Window or good ol' Night of the Living Dead? Halloween (the movie) leaves me scared for weeks. If I watched that now I would not step foot in the park ever again.
There's also Poltergeist, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Carrie, The Hitcher (the original of course with C. Thomas Howell!),The Shining, Scream, or you could go the complete opposite and rent Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Maureen said...

Yes... I totally forgot about Night of the Living Dead. Love it!
"They're coming to get you, Barbara!"

I'm totally reserving it on Netflix. You saved me a few nights of terror:)
Maybe I'll make it a long night and also rent Shaun of the Dead.