Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A touch of nostalgia


The kids are off to brother and sister-in-law's house today so I can dig into a bunch of work that has piled up. It's amazing how much work I can get done when I can focus on things for more than 5 minutes at a time. I'm glad that SIL and I have worked out the kid swap thing so we can both do outside work to supplement the bacon our husbands bring home. God knows we need it in the crazy housing market of So. Cal!
What was I going to post about? Ah, yes, nostalgia.

So, as I'm working I popped in an old CD I found. Beck's Mutations. Husband and I used to listen to a lot of Beck back in our dating days. I haven't listened to it much since we got married 5.5 years ago. A soon as the first notes started I was struck with warm, fuzzy feelings -- I suddenly remembered how much fun husband and I had when we were dating and how great life was then. It still is great and I love husband more deeply now, but everything was so easy then. What worries did we have? We had two nice incomes. We spent hours looking at the ocean from my apartment deck. We could walk to almost anything we needed. We worried only about our own laundry and traffic when visiting each other -- we had to travel across L.A. to see each other for a few months.
We desparately need a fun weekend with no kiddos. We have loads of fun with the kids, but he and I are like two kids when we're alone. We joke and have awesome talks.
It just took a few simple songs to bring all this back. I think I'll pop in my Sean Lennon CD next (one of those songs was our wedding song) to keep the good feelings flowing. And I have to make a note that when I'm feeling frazzled or a bit blah about the day to day of being married, I just have to listen to some old songs to remember that I married my best friend.

Oh, and I love the "new" Beck album, The Information. It's not really new (released in October) but I don't stay on top of these things.

No comments: