Friday, April 03, 2009

Middle age is upon me

I'm staring down middle age right now. I'll hit the big 3-5 in a couple of weeks and it's freakin me out a bit.
The weirdest thing is that people that used to seem sooooo old to me are no longer so old.
A few crushes of mine from my jr. high school days... they seemed so old and wise at the time. Now, looking at their ages, they were just wee babes when I was admiring them.

John Mellencamp -- 58
Prince -- 51
Jon Bon Jovi -- 47
James Hetfield from Metallica -- 45
Johnny Depp -- 45
Bono -- 48
Bret Michael - 46

Holy shit, Bono is only 13 years older than me!!! WTF?
Prince! I remember listening to "When Doves Cry" when I was like 9 or 10 and thinking he was awesome and some way older dude. He's only like 16 years older than me.
Bret Michael... Man, I had this guys face plastered all over my pre-teen (ok, early teen) room.
Now, when you are 10, someone who is 26 seems ages older than you. But when you are almost 35, it doesn't seem like such a big difference. After you hit your mid-twenties, time seems to speed up and you can actually picture yourself as a 40 year old.

I'm getting old folks, and I don't know if I like it. I want my teen crushes to remain a lifetime older than I.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Marty is friends with Bret... :)

Super Mega Dad said...

I remember thinking back when I was a young un that I would be 29 when it was the year 2000 and it seemed like that was so far away and I kept thinking that I was going to be so old and my life would be almost over and I wouldn't be able to enjoy the 2000's AT ALL because I was going to be SO old. Things sure do change with a little perspective. :) Now my kids think I'm older than dirt.