Monday, March 13, 2006

First day of soccer

Lucas had his first day of pre-soccer on Saturday morning. It was raining out, so the class was in the gym at a local rec center. It was very cute to see all the kids running around after the soccer balls. But the coaches really want to teach these kids some basics... a difficult task to get 10 3 year-olds to stand still and follow directions.
Anyway, Lucas did well with Phil the first 15 minutes or so. He was listening and standing still. But after a bit, he was getting frustrated when he couldn't stop the soccer ball with his foot.
He started to fuss a bit and wanted to leave, and he kept looking at me with eyes that were begging for me to go get him. But we made him stay and finish out the class.
He talked about how hard it was to play soccer, so we explained that you have to practice and practice so that it will be less difficult each time.
On Sunday I practiced with him a bit and when he finally stopped the ball perfectly, he was very proud. I know that I don't particularly like to spend time doing things I'm not good at, so I understand. But it is great to see him get the connection that the more you practice something, the easier it is.

No comments: