Monday, April 30, 2007

Another day, another tantrum and I'm a Greek!

Daughter is showing her 2-year-old colors lately. Yesterday and today have been particularly difficult. The girl yells and cries about EVERYTHING. The smallest thing can set her off -- like not getting her doll's shoes on or not getting to sit in the blue carseat because cousin got there first. It's not a little whine or gentle tears... it's like world war III around here. I've noted before that her volume control is broken and only works on the highest setting. I was so frustrated today that I told her I was going to drop her off at the zoo because she was being a bad little monkey. Well, that didn't go over so well:)
I was half hoping that she might be sick or something... anything to explain this frustrating behavior. But she is sleeping well and eating well, so I don't think a $40 visit to the doctor is warranted. I am trying to help her through her frustrations, but I don't know if I'm doing more harm than good. Husband thinks I should totally ignore her (easy for him to say from the comfort of his office) but I feel that she needs some comfort and extra love to show her that it's OK to be 2 and to feel a bit out of control. God knows I feel out of control about 70% of the time.

In her happier moments, daughter has taken to calling me "Greek". The only explanation I can come up with is that she was trying to call me a geek, but once she said Greek, it sort of stuck. So she'll tell me she's hungry and I'll say, "we'll have a snack in a little while" and she'll reply, "Okay, Greek." She is adding this new nickname for me all the time now. If I tell her something she'll simply reply, "Yes, Greek" or "fine, Greek". I tried to tell her that my grandparents are Irish and husband is most likely of German or Swedish heritiage (he's adopted) and that our family has been American for a two generations. She doesn't seem to care.
Greece is on the top of my list of places to visit if we ever get a chance to leave this continent.

No comments: