Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Son is starving and lilac splurge

Since day one my son has never been a big eater. He just never seemed to interested in food and even if you gave him some chocolate, he might take a bite and say, "I'll save the rest for later."
Daughter is the exact opposite and has been a hungry girl since day one -- give her a king size candy bar (not that I have) and I'm sure she would try her best to polish it off.
This all changed over the past month or so. The child is hungry from morning until bed -- and often complains of hunger even as we're tucking him in. It is so difficult because he doesn't want to sit down and eat a large amount, he just wants to nibble all day long. I am going out of my mind because I feel like his slave trapped in the kitchen or forced to prepare snacks all day.
I can find healthy things he'll eat, but then that means that the dinner I've planned will only be touched a bit and then 40 minutes later he'll be wanting another snack. He's gone from eating about 5 times a day (3 meals and 2 snacks) to eating about 8 times a day.
Husband is type 1 diabetic, so we were a little worried about this. Although son hasn't been extremely thirsty, hunger is one sign. We took him in to the doc, who said it was probably just a growth spurt but tested him anyway -- blood sugar was good.
In any case, I hope this ends soon. When he is a teenager and tries to eat us out of house and home that will be fine because he can prepare his own snacks and clean up after himself.

I'm writing this while dinner is in the oven and the kids are listening to a book on tape. My son has said that he is hungry about 5 times. I've given him about a cup of cottage cheese to hold him off til dinner comes out and he polished that off quickly. He just said he's still hungry and I swear, it's like nails on a chalkboard when he says that now. I just want to scream, "what do you want me to do about it? Dinner is in the oven!" I'm confused over why I am getting so irritated when he constantly informs me about his hunger. I must be feeling frustrated because I'm constantly preparing food for people in this house and then cleaning up after everyone all day long -- with the addition of neice and nephew three days a week, it can become a bit much. I guess it's just one of those days and I'll be glad when husband gets home and I can go and escape to the treadmill.

Well, shit, I was going to write about the beautiful lilac I bought this afternoon but now I'm too annoyed to write about anything pretty.

No comments: